The Wizard of Oz Auditions – Dorothy
- Venue: First Floor
- Age Guidance: For young people identifying as female in Key Stage 3 (Years 7, 8 or 9) of High School in September 2019
More Information on The Wizard of Oz Auditions – Dorothy
This Christmas, Leeds Playhouse will stage a spectacular new production of The Wizard of Oz. We’re looking for young people to to play the iconic role of Dorothy Gale.
Who are we looking for?
All candidates will need good availability for rehearsals / performances from September 2019 to the end of January 2020, and you need to be based within a 30 minute drive of the Playhouse building. We are actively looking to recruit a company which reflects the diversity of the city of Leeds so would encourage applications from young people regardless of background or ethnicity.
We are looking for girls to play the iconic role of Dorothy Gale. This is a leading role so ideally performers will be experienced in playing a significant part involving singing, dancing and acting. The rehearsals and performance schedule are a major commitment and will require dedication and stamina, but will also be a terrific experience for the young people selected. To be considered for the role of Dorothy, your child should identify as female and be in Key Stage 3 (Years 7, 8 or 9) of High School in September 2019.
Tuesday 28 May / Wednesday 29 May
If you are successful in the first round of auditions for Dorothy, you’ll be asked to come back for a recall audition on Thursday 30 May. The auditions will take place in our rehearsal room on St Peter’s Street in the same building as First Floor:
6 St Peter’s Building
St Peter’s Square
You must book an audition space. If you do not book a space, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to see you. Once your slot is confirmed you just need to turn up on the day. Please ensure that our Box Office team have a valid email address for you, and keep an eye on your inbox in case we need to contact you. If you have any questions before the day, please email email@example.com.
- You will need to bring a completed copy of an audition form with you, or fill one in on the day. If you do need to fill a form in on the day, please ensure you bring your diary with you to check you are available for all rehearsals and performances.
- You will be contacted within two weeks after the recall audition about whether you have or have not been cast in the show.
- You will be required to attend all rehearsals outlined on the audition form, so you must check all the dates and clearly communicate if there are any rehearsals / performances you cannot attend. We cannot make allowances for holidays or special occasions etc so please ensure you are able to commit to the entire schedule.
- Please note this is an unpaid opportunity, however limited travel expenses will be paid during performances. Unfortunately we are unable to cover any expenses during the rehearsal / technical rehearsal period.
- Staff working with the young company are all DBS checked and have experience in working with young people in a range of contexts.
You can book a maximum of 2 audition slots per person.
A Signed performance is the usual full production with the addition of a British Sign Language Interpreter who stands on the stage interpreting the show for Deaf attendees.Audio Described
Audio Described performances are designed to improve the experience of visually impaired and blind attendees. As well as listening to the dialogue on stage the customer can wear a headset and listen to a live description of the action on stage.Relaxed Performance
A relaxed performance is a specially selected show from our programme, with slight adaptations to make it suitable for an audience of young people or adults with learning disabilities. This may include extra lighting, additional wheelchair spaces and the freedom to move to alternative seating if required.Dementia-Friendly Performance
A relaxed performance with adaptations to technical aspects of the show, flexible seating options and a relaxed attitude to audience responses and movement in the auditorium. In our front of house space we will have a quiet room, clearer visual markers and signage, and additional staff and volunteers trained to sensitively and respectfully welcome people living with dementia and their supporters to this show.Sing Along
Sing along with the cast in this exclusive performance. Lyrics will be on screen, so you can join in as loud as you like. Open to all, fancy dress is optional but highly recommended.Post Show Discussion
- - Captioned
- - Signed
- - Audio Description
- - Relaxed Performance
- - Dementia Friendly Performance
- - Post Show Discussion
- - Sing Along