The Wizard of Oz Auditions – Young Ensemble
- Venue: First Floor
- Age Guidance: Young people in Years 5 - 9 (i.e. 9 - 14 years old) in September 2019
More Information on The Wizard of Oz Auditions – Young Ensemble
This Christmas, Leeds Playhouse will stage a spectacular new production of The Wizard of Oz. We’re looking for young people to to be part of our Young Ensemble.
Who are we looking for?
All candidates will need good availability for rehearsals / performances from September 2019 to the end of January 2020, and you need to be based within a 30 minute drive of the Playhouse building. We are actively looking to recruit a company which reflects the diversity of the city of Leeds so would encourage applications from young people regardless of background or ethnicity.
We are looking for young people to take on a range of roles (including but not limited to Munchkins). Performers will be required to sing, act and move to music, so some prior experience would be useful. The rehearsals and performance schedule are a major commitment and will require dedication and stamina but will also be a terrific experience for the young people selected. To be considered for the Young Ensemble, you must be in Years 5 – 9 (i.e. 9 – 14 years old) in September 2019.
Thursday 30 / Friday 31 May
The auditions will take place in our rehearsal room on St Peter’s Street in the same building as First Floor:
6 St Peter’s Building
St Peter’s Square
You must book an audition space. If you do not book a space, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to see you. Once your slot is confirmed you just need to turn up on the day. Please ensure that our Box Office team have a valid email address for you, and keep an eye on your inbox in case we need to contact you. If you have any questions before the day, please email email@example.com.
- You will need to bring a completed copy of an audition form with you, or fill one in on the day. If you do need to fill a form in on the day, please ensure you bring your diary with you to check you are available for all rehearsals and performances.
- You will be contacted within two weeks after the recall audition about whether you have or have not been cast in the show.
- You will be required to attend all rehearsals outlined on the audition form, so you must check all the dates and clearly communicate if there are any rehearsals / performances you cannot attend. We cannot make allowances for holidays or special occasions etc so please ensure you are able to commit to the entire schedule.
- Please note this is an unpaid opportunity, however limited travel expenses will be paid during performances. Unfortunately we are unable to cover any expenses during the rehearsal / technical rehearsal period.
- Staff working with the young company are all DBS checked and have experience in working with young people in a range of contexts.
You can book a maximum of 2 audition slots per person.
A signed performance is the usual full production using either the creative use of sign integrated into the performance or a British Sign Language Interpreter on stage interpreting the show for D/deaf attendees.Audio Described
Audio Described performances are designed to improve the experience of visually impaired and blind attendees. As well as listening to the dialogue on stage the customer can wear a headset and listen to a live description of the action on stage.Relaxed Performance
A relaxed performance is a specially selected show from our programme, with slight adaptations to make it suitable for an audience of young people or adults with learning disabilities. This may include extra lighting, additional wheelchair spaces and the freedom to move to alternative seating if required.Dementia-Friendly Performance
Dementia friendly performances are for all audiences. The theatre experience is enhanced for people living with dementia and their supporters, with adaptations to front of house service, the show and pre-show information packs. Additional dementia-aware staff, quiet spaces, clear signage and visual markers, sound and lighting adjustments and flexible seating options all help to create a supportive, shared experience.Sing Along
Singalong with the cast in this exclusive performance. Join in as loud as you like, fancy dress is optional but highly recommended.Post Show Discussion
Parent & Baby Performance
A Parent and Baby performance enables parents to attend the theatre with their baby (under 12 months). We make small adaptations to the lighting and sound effects, including keeping the auditorium lights slightly raised. The seating is unallocated and there is a relaxed attitude to noise.
*A transaction fee of £2.50 will be applied to all phone and internet bookings.
- - Captioned
- - Signed
- - Audio Description
- - Relaxed Performance
- - Dementia Friendly Performance
- - Post Show Discussion
- - Sing Along
- - Parent & Baby Performance